Monday, March 2, 2009

Misfits Part 2

The Misfits by James Howe (pages 143 to 274)

The end of The Misfits was not as predictable as I thought it would be. I guess I was choosing to believe that Mr. Howe would have tied everything up in a pretty little bow and the No-name Party would win. Well at least they did not finish last.

I liked the way that the Gang of Five supported each other and listened to each others ideas (even if they had to yell at each other to be heard - mainly over Addie). The lessons that they learned, as well as the rest of their classmates, was one that made me smile. My high school was very similar to Paint Brush Hills Junior High. Unfortunately we never had anyone who was willing to challenge the Britney's and the Collin's.

I believe that The Misfits should be taught in every school. The message is one of hope and belief that someday we all just may get along. With the ever changing landscape that is occurring in the American school system, the early this book is taught, the better prepared our students may be for junior and senior high. I would probably introduce this book to a third grade class with parental consent; fifth grade without parental consent (I would still send a letter advising the parents as to why I was teaching the book).

1 comment:

  1. I was really surprised with the ending too! I was really surprised when Colin liked Joe. I did not see that one comming. And what is the deal with the no name party losing, that stinks! But I really think what howe was getting at was that even if you make a ripple and lose the battle that ripple you made still has an effect. Just like how the no name party lost but still accomplished thier mission because of how strong and true the messege was. Howe is a geneous and I agree it should be tought in every school.

    ReplyDelete