Thursday, April 2, 2009

Secret Code by Dana Meachen Rau; Illustrated by Bari Weissman (Grolier Publishing, 1998)
As I walk around the curriculum lab I tend to turn my head to the side and read the titles on the spine of the book. This particular title caught my eye. What is so interesting about this selection is that I was so consumed by the title of the book I failed to notice the cover art. Had I been more observant I would have seen that one of the books was written in Braille.
Discussing differences can be a difficult for student in the earlier elementary grades to comprehend. This book serves as an excellent example on how ones curiosity may lead to bigger and better things. Lucy notices that he book and Oscar's book are written differently. She is curious about what he is reading so she asks him if it is a secret code. Once he explains that his books are written in Braille, Lucy becomes interested in learning. Oscar and Lucy form a friendship that goes beyond sight.
I took away from this book that it is best to ask questions if you see something or someone who is doing things different. You may find that the person is more than happy to explain to you the reason they do what they do. I really enjoyed this book, it made me smile as I read it.
Intended audience: Pre to lower Elementary school

No comments:

Post a Comment