Monday, February 2, 2009

An Oldie but a Goodie


Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
While I was at a local bookstore I decided to visit the Caldecott Medal section. I never realized how many books I have read that have received this distinguished award. However, one book in particular took me back to when I was young.
Even before I could read I was a big fan of this book. My Aunt Janet gave me this book when I turned 4. I used to sit up after I was tucked in and look at the pictures. The monsters for some reason never frightened me. The expressions for the "Wild Things" were so loving to me. I used to think that Max was the one who should have remained on the island. After all, he was the one who misbehaved, not the monsters. They just wanted to please Max.
I still to this day can not tell you if this book is based on a dream that Max was having or if he was just playing make believe. I choose to believe that it was a dream but my six year-old will tell you that he stepped into his room, was mad at his Mommy and thought of things that would make his Mommy mad. All to get back at her. What an active imagination that child has.
"Where the Wild Things Are" is a classic story that allows the reader to form their own conclusion as to how and why Max went to the island. Was he dreaming of the Monsters? Do the Monsters represent all of the authority figures in his life? Does he decide to forgive the Monsters and that is why he gave up the authority and returned home? That is the beauty of the story - it allows you to imagine what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment