Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wrut Wrow Wraggy



Scooby-Doo and the Phantom Cowboy; illustrations by Hanna & Barbera

Scholastic has decided to bring episodes of its popular "Scooby-Doo" series to readers. I must admit that I always enjoyed watching the cartoons when I was a kid. I was a little leery of how the episodes would be translated into text however. What I have now come to realize is that Scholastic is a lot smarter than I gave them credit for. My 5 year-old daughter is a perfect example of their success.

On Sunday we were taking a break from cleaning the house and I let them watch a little T.V. I found "Scooby-Doo" on the Cartoon Network and thought we could watch it. My daughter however got extremely upset. She did not believe that "Scooby-Doo" existed outside of the books that she was reading. She really made a connection with the books that we were reading. She is enthralled with the way Scooby seems to jump off of the pages due to the great illustrations. While the stories are predictable and always end with "those meddling kids and their dad-burned dog" solving the mysteries, my kids often will make up their own stories based on the illustrations.

I would probably never use these book when teaching in my classroom, I would keep them in my classroom library. They allow students to enjoy a character that has been around for years (at least 35 that I know of). They also typically have a lesson attached to them somewhere. In the lower grades they may be beneficial when discussing the importance of teamwork.

Intended audience: Kindergarten to 3rd

No comments:

Post a Comment