Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Poopsie Hamster Buns reporting

Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman by Dav Pilkey

So I am completing my post about "Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman" under my new pen name of Poopsie Hamster Buns. Too funny.

I am still relatively new to the whole "Captain Underpants" phenomenon. Last summer I was teaching at a Summer Program and had a group of kids who were not paying close attention because of this series. Instead of getting mad, I found a way to use them in the teachings.

What I enjoy about these books is that they take the story of two boys who could be interchanged with almost anyone in school, anywhere in the country. Dav Pilkey has a way of making reading and writing fun. He introduces several forms of writing into his tales and that is what makes it fun. The expressions on the illustrations are also priceless. I can totally remember making the faces of "Captain Underpants" when I would play Superhero in grade school.

"Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman" brought back many memories of my least favorite teacher and how I would have loved to do something to her. The fact that she did not promote her students using their imaginations really bothered me. Ms. Ribble is everything I DO NOT want to be as a teacher. I was so excited to see Harold and George go against the grain. To me every student should be able to question. They may not always like the answer that they get, but they should at least have the chance to ask.

Intended audience: 4th grade and up. Adults may even enjoy them. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment