Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What?

The Crocodile Blues by Coleman Polhemus

What? I am totally lost as to what this book is about. I know that "wordless" books are supposed to challenge the readers imagination, but either this book really missed the mark or I am just not that imaginative.

While the drawings were good and the "gate-ways" (that is what the flaps were referred to) were amusing, the overall idea of the book was lost on me. Amazon and Barnes and Noble say that "The Crocodile Blues" is "a creative book that will leave readers anything but blue." What I find funny about that is, that even they cannot tell me what the book is about.

The illustrations show a man taking an egg from an egg vending machine placing the egg in the refrigerator. While he and his bird fall asleep the egg cracks and a FULLY grown crocodile appears. Next thing you know the guy has moved, then attends a party, and is presented the egg by the same crocodile who he ran from. I just don't get it. If someone can explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Intended audience: I am not sure. I probably would not use this book in my curriculum because if I am confused about this book, how am I supposed to use it in my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment